Saturday, October 19, 2013

Americana Baby Bottom Cake

Here are a few pictures of my latest project. It is another baby bottom cake, done in Americana colors. It is for a mom I have known for a little while, but I have known the dad since he was a teenager. As always, it is so much fun to be a part of these milestones in their lives, especially when I have seen them grow through so many others!
I learned a lot about mixing colors on this cake. I thought I could just darken some already red and blue fondant, but I was using the wrong colors to darken, so I just kept getting a brownish mess!  After a couple if trips to the cake supply store (thanks, Georgia!) I had the colors I needed.
I really love that she is using these colors for the nursery!  They wil be very versatile if she ever has a girl (did I mention she is having a boy?). They are just great, traditional colors all around!
Something I did differently on this cake was to make the core of the baby feet out of Rice Krispie treats. That made the feet much lighter, and made them easier to work with.
The cake stand was supplied by the mom-to-be. I think it turned out just perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ha ha, well it can be a little tricky! You have to take the "baby" off the top, and possibly remove the bow first too.

      Delete