Monday, June 10, 2013

Chipotle burrito, step by step

So, I thought it might be fun to show a little of the cake process with this cake.  Courtney and I were playing with my phone camera while decorating.  
At the top, you can see that I put a thick crumb coat on the cake, and then covered just the exposed end with white fondant, which I had Courtney knead some of the cake crumbs into to give it more of that tortilla look.  We laid the fondant over one end, and folded it under the cake to look like a wrapped burrito.
In the bottom picture, you can see that we wrapped the other end in foil the same way, overlapping the fondant in the middle.  Fold back the edge of the foil, and you have a burrito!
A plain, uneaten burrito would look pretty boring, so we used a round cookie cutter to take a "bite" out of the corner. (I promise, Courtney did not actually make that bite herself!)
We then iced over the "bite" mark and filled the hole with rice, beans and tomatoes made from fondant. The meat was chunks of the cake.  The sour cream was marshmallow fluff, and the cheese was grated white chocolate.
The woman who ordered this cake was surprising her son with it, and they were having his birthday dinner at Chipotle.  She loved it!  Haven't heard, yet, what the birthday boy thought, but I hope he had a happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment