Saturday, July 6, 2013

Devin and Blythe

No time to rest after Will and Mal's reception!  I went straight home and finished up the cake for Devin and Blythe.  Two totally different cakes that weekend, for two totally different brides; each uniquely beautiful.

Devin and Blythe had their reception in downtown KCMO.  It was, by far, the coolest venue I have ever delivered a cake to!  The building was built in 1906.  They have preserved most of the original walls, fixtures, etc.  All of the hardwood floors are pieced together and uneven, just like they have probably always been.  The first two floors are filled with artist's studios and galleries, along with a hair salon, and a massage spa.  Above those, on the top floor, is a large room for special events, like wedding receptions.  3 walls of the room are windows overlooking downtown, and the city skyline.  All of the walls have exposed brick.

To deliver the cake, I had to drive down the alley between 2 buildings, to a loading dock in the rear.  The events coordinator came down, and opened a large garage-style door to the freight elevator, which appeared to be original to the building.  I carried the cake on, she closed the two roll-down doors, and up we went!

The theme for this reception was a vintage shabby chic.  Their colors were purple and sage green. 

Here are some pictures of the venue.  They don't do it justice at all, but I wanted to share the reason why I was so excited for this one!




So, what kind of cake do you do for a wedding like this?  Well, here it is...





I love the succulents, and the wedding coordinator had a really pretty stand that we set the cake on.  The circles on the sides were cut with my Cricut machine.  (I should clarify here, that Courtney rolled out and cut most of them for me.  I really kept her busy as well!)

The cake was lemon poppy seed, with a lemon curd filling.  The frosting was made from a recipe for crusting cream cheese frosting.  It was a little more difficult to smooth than I am used to, but after some struggling, I got it fairly well smooth.  Looking at the cake after it was done, I think that imperfection really lent itself to the vintage feel, so, again, win-win!

After this reception, I went home and CRASHED!!!  No more cakes scheduled until September, so I plan to use the time learning new techniques on Craftsy.  I will post my class creations as I finish them.



2 comments:

  1. You are so talented Jenni! I just wish you lived closer so I could see you and your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Me too. We love living here, buying sure miss the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete